I write this from the comfort of my kitchen table, on the Eve of the 2014-2015 school year. I call it the Sunday of all Sundays. The day every teacher dreads once the conclusion of a school year happens - The Sunday before the real world sets back in. Early mornings, parent phone calls, late nights, laughter, tears, studying, and observations - all crammed into "187" days.
I've sat down and averaged out my hours for work:
Average work day: 7:00a-5:00p (10 hours) 187 days
Typical commute: 1hr 5 min (each way) 2hr 10 min ** I don't count this**
Concert nights: additional 5+ hours (9 of them) 45 hours
Region Band Auditions: 10 Hours
Region band clinic: 12 Hours
Solo and Ensemble Recitals: 9 hours (over 3 days)
Solo and Ensemble Contest: 8 hours
Trip days: (2) 27 hours
Before School start hours (over summer): 65 (estimate)
So lets see:
1870 - for average week
45- Concert nights
10 - Region Band Auditions
12 - Region Band Clinic
9- Solo and Ensemble Recital days
8- solo and ensemble contest
27-trips (not during the school day kind)
65- Summer time at school
TOTAL: 2046 in my contracted 187 day pay scale...
9-5 job 5 days a week for 50 weeks a year: 2000 hours in 250 days.
It's madness to think of it in these numbers. Specially since I was conservative with my time. Maybe this year, I can make my own clock in-out system so I can really do the math. Would be interesting to see how many hours I physically am on the clock.
I'm not complaining, but rather, trying to prove my point. My bout with depression like symptoms today makes sense... I've spent most of my time in my room, lying in bed, sitting in silence..occasionally sleeping, but mostly just enjoying the calmness and rest before the storm.
My job is incredibly rewarding. This has been shown in my past week at school, catching up with students and seeing them after the summer break. We have awesome students at my school. They aren't angels all of the time, but they're wonderful people.
I've tossed around the idea of traveling abroad to teach in the future. I've become enamored with the idea of living in a different country and being out of my comfort zone. Will that actually happen? I'm not sure. I feel I'm barely beginning to scratch the surface of my career at the moment, and I can find comfort in knowing success is at a moments grasp.
So I end the summer with this.
I am a traveler who teaches when I'm at home. Exposing my students to my knowledge is my passion. Not only in the realm of music, but in life. I've learned this summer that any thing is possible if you set your mind to it. Even if it means 3 cruises totaling 2 weeks at sea in 2 months... I live for tomorrow and am grateful for the "right now". I almost feel unworthy for the people I've met this summer. How am I so lucky? I can't answer that, so all I can say is Thank you. To whomever graced me with these opportunities, people, and experiences. I'm eternally grateful. I pray that I may continue receiving these gifts and opportunities in the future.
Goodbye Summer. Like my new friends and acquaintances, you will be missed, but I shall see you again, in time.
This sums it up:
Dallas
Galveston Ferry ride with shelley
Karaoke in Lake Charles
| Evie and Dad at King's Biergarten |
| Shelley and I riding the Bolivar Ferry |
| Alex, Myself, Ioachim, and Marko - Last night August Cruise |
| Mom and I starting Back-to-Back cruises! |
| Facetime with my lovely EE |
| A fun Joke |
| Last night on the Back-to-Back cruise in July: Milos, Alex, Mom, Me, Dad, and Marko |
| Copper and I cuddling at the lake |
| two weeks on the Triumph! |
| My favorite part of cruising! |
| Evie's first time getting in the water at the lake! |
| Best picture of the summer! Lots of time in Katy! |
| My heaven on Earth |
![]() |
| I could live like this |
| Sad it's over- happy it happened. |

No comments:
Post a Comment