Monday, March 24, 2014

Super parents

 Hello all, I greet you from an exhausted state and the comfort of my bed. Tonight marks the closure to one of the most challenging weekends I've experienced and the beginning of massive caregiving from my dad/mom.
My 81 year old grandmother took a spill off a step ladder this last Thursday evening. Praise The Lord, nothing is broken/torn, just bruised. 
Since my grandfather has passed away, all care-giving is now passed on to my aunts and my mother, to make sure Jackie is well taken care of.
Unfortunately, my aunts have a bit of a disadvantage to caregiving with the distance from other states, but luckily there are still a few of us here in Texas that can assist in the case of emergency. 
This weekend I was exposed to a harsh reality with my grandma. Life as an 80+ year old is extremely fragile, and even with no broken bones, damage can be done that would (to a 28 year old) seem minor. 
This weekend I witnessed the uber-strength of my father. Let me just outline his schedule from Thursday-Monday....
-Thursday: 5:30a-12:30a. ( he came my my band concert which means the world to me),
-Friday: 5:30a-11:45p (with a stop to the ER to take care of granny)
-Saturday: 6:00a-11:45p (which includes 8 hours of driving) 
-Sunday: 5:00a-11:00pm cooking/cleaning/medicating my grandma 
Monday- 4:00a-11:00pm doctors appointment, cooking, cleaning, and medicating my grandma. (Two hours driving home, and two hours talking with mom while she drives to Victoria) AND taking care of work at the same time.....

Superman indeed.

Now there is my mom, who is queen of cruising but has never encountered a trip ending like today with the oil spill...

She spent all day, waiting to get off the ship, so she can go help her mom. Who has swallowed her pride and officially accepted the fact that she can no longer do whatever she wants to do when she feels like it.


I know many of my Facebook/ blog peeps will think that's stupid to defend, but coming from a person who lives with an 80 year old, it's a tough pill to swallow to say "I can't". Specially when you've been able to, so long. 


Let me put this in terms that made it way easier for me to get past my anger towards a stupid decision....
Hypothetical: you're a parent of an 8 year old, who jumps out of a tree and breaks his arm (after you told him not to). Are you mad at him? Hell, yes. But do you abandon him in a time of need, no.
So as much as I'm frustrated with having to accommodate my stubborn grandma's actions, I know that she's being cared for as a stubborn 8 year old would. He/she doesn't know they can't do it, even though I know the truth.

A harsh reality for them, and annoying to clean up their consequences, but such is the circle of life.

My parents are great. They might have their quirks and obsessions, but they're teaching me wonderful life lessons along the way, and I'm grateful.

Prayers for my grandmother are appreciated. Praises for my parents are also welcome.


I pray you never have to see your own grandparents in the state I saw mine.

E

No comments: